Public Hearing* and Regular Town Board Meeting
The Town Board of the Town of Sun Prairie met on Monday May 20, 2002 at 7:30 P.M. at the Town Hall, 5556 Twin Lane Road.
Call to Order. The meeting was called to order at 7:30 P.M. by chairperson Lyle Updike. Supervisors Vernon Pogue and Doug Yelk, clerk Claudia Quick, deputy clerk Joan Rademacher and highway patrolman Dennis Farrell were present. Twenty-one additional people attended the meeting.
Statement of Public Notice. The chair directed that the minutes show that notice of the Town Board meeting was published in the May 15, 2002 issue of The Star. The agenda was also faxed to the Capital Times. Copies were posted on the two town bulletin boards and temporarily at Buckshot’s Hwy. N on May 17, 2002.
Approve Minutes of Previous Meeting. Moved by Vernon Pogue, second by Doug Yelk to approve the minutes of the May 6, 2002 meeting. Motion carried.
Presentation from the Public. None
Report on Town Roads. Dennis Farrell reported that he is checking on salt for the 2002-2003 winter and will be contacting Columbia County and the State for bids. He approved the blacktop applied at the Public Safety Building in Marshall.
Consider Preliminary Plans by T. Krisher for rezone for commercial and residential use; section 26 T. Krisher explained that he wants to be in compliance with his business. He will check with Dane County for options available to him. Consensus was that he could proceed with the rezone plans.
*Public Hearing – Consider and Take Action re: Petition #8438 by R. Dorshorst request to change zoning from A-1 Ex Ag to RH-1 to create two residential lots, section 36. The chair opened the public hearing. R. Dorshorst explained what he would like to do. Various people addressed the board stating their concerns and opposition to this zoning change. The chair closed the public hearing. Upon review the board decided to defer this agenda item to a special meeting that will be held on June 5, 2002 at 7:15 p.m. at the site of the proposed zoning change. The board indicated they do not intend to take action at the June 5th meeting. All interested parties will be notified.
Consider, Review and Act on Final Plat for Savannah Valley Subdivision: Mr. Dan Birrenkott reported on the progress of the plat. Various issues were discussed with the board. They are as follows:
- The developer will ensure that lots 1 and 2, and lots 9 through 14 have trees placed as indicated on the face of the final plat map. These trees are to be along Twin Lane Road and be 2 in. in diameter, 6-8 feet in height and 2/3’s of the number should be hard maples and 1/3 spruce pine.
- The slope of the proposed portion of Yelk Road shall be less than 10% with a goal of 8%.
- Developer will grade driveway to be converted to a town road when lot 29 is subdivided.
- Developer will address the area between lots 8 and 22 as to who will maintain after the developer has done a rough grade and seeding. A deed restriction on lots 8 and 22 should be very specific as to what the developer will be responsible for and the responsibility of the owners of said lots. The issue of extending the road through lots 8 and 22 to the Schuster property would be a cost to the developer of the adjoining land. This will be indicated on the plat. There will be no plantings or buildings allowed in the right-of-way or normal setback lines.
- Outlot 3 will be left to grow in its natural state with a walking trail around it. The walking trail will also extend to outlots 1 and 2. These will be kept up and mowed 2 to 3 times a year by the homeowners association.
- The Savannah Valley plat will have uncontrolled intersections except where roads enter Twin Lane Road.
- Issue of park fund fees and the cost of the video through the drain tile need to be resolved.
Discussion on whether a drainage district should be established in regards to future costs of the drained area.
These items will be addressed within deed restrictions, road construction plans or the developer’s agreement.
Consider Early Start Permit for Roads.
D. Farrell stated that it would be unnecessary for the developer to hire another engineer to review road plans. Road would have a 1 year guarantee at which time the erosion control devices would be removed.
Moved by Vernon Pogue, second by Doug Yelk to approve early start for roads subject to the highway patrolman’s approval. Motion carried.
Consider Developer’s Agreement. Consensus of the board was that if the town clerk, Claudia Quick and Dan Birrenkott of Birrenkott Surveying agree on a developer’s agreement and all issues have been addressed it would then be sent to the Town’s attorney for his review. This being done the Board will then act on the developer’s agreement.
Lyle Updike moved to approve the preliminary plat for Savannah Valley conditionally on road plans and developer’s agreement, second by Vernon Pogue. Motion carried.
Consider Preliminary Plans by D. Stern for church and residential lots, section 19. Mr. D. Stern reported on his proposed plan. Consensus of the board was that the planning commission should address this proposal. It was also suggested that he check with the City of Sun Prairie.
Consider County Ordinance Amendment #34 regarding quarry zoning district. Moved by Vernon Pogue, second by Doug Yelk to disapprove Amendment #34. Motion carried.
Consider and Tentatively Adopt Amendments to following Town Ordinances:
Consider and Tentatively Adopt Town Ordinances:
These agenda items were not discussed at this meeting because of the lateness of the hour. Will be on a future agenda.
Audit and Pay Bills. Moved by Vernon Pogue, second by Doug Yelk to approve the bills as presented and the fire unit bill of $13,500.00. Motion carried.
Old Business/New Business
- EMS Report Vernon Pogue reported that a maintenance contract has been approved. All town boards and personnel are invited to attend a meeting on May 28th at the new EMS building to address personnel issues.
- Fire Unit Report Lyle Updike reported that cost allocation issues were discussed at the meeting. The next meeting will be on May 30th.
- The clerk presented the Real Estate and Personal Property Valuation Summary to the board. The Board of Review will be held on June 5th from 5:00-7:00 p.m.
Set Next Meeting Date/Adjournment. A special board meeting will be held on June 5, 2002 at the site of the R. Dorshorst proposed rezone at 7:15 p.m. The next regular town board meeting date was set for Monday, June 10, 2002 at 7:30 P.M. Moved by Vernon Pogue, second by Doug Yelk to adjourn the meeting. Motion carried. The chairman declared the meeting adjourned at 11:15 a.m.
Joan M. Rademacher, Deputy Clerk