Public Hearing and Town Board Meeting
The Town Board of the Town of Sun Prairie met on Monday, July 22, 2002 at 6:30 P.M. at the Town Hall, 5556 Twin Lane Road.
Call to Order. The meeting was called to order at 6:45 P.M. by chairperson Lyle Updike. Supervisors Vernon Pogue and Doug Yelk, clerk Claudia Quick and deputy clerk Joan Rademacher were present. Fourteen additional people attended the meeting.
Statement of Public Notice. The chair directed that the minutes show that notice of the Town Board meeting was published in the July 17, 2002 issue of The Star. The agenda was also faxed to the Capital Times. Copies were posted on the two town bulletin boards and temporarily at Buckshot’s Hwy. N on July 19, 2002.
Approve Minutes of Previous Meeting. Moved by Doug Yelk, second by Lyle Updike to approve the minutes of the July 8, 2002 meeting. Motion carried.
Presentation from the Public. Monte Couch asked about crops that grow in the road right-of-way. Consensus was that if the crop is not obstructing visibility and there are no complaints they could remain. However, there is a chance that the crop could be mowed down when the highway patrolman mows the road ditch.
Discussion with B. Hallman concerning restrictions on property use at 4418 County Road TT. Bill Hallman purchased a commercial building from Gary LaRue and he wanted to discuss the restrictions that the Town had on the parcel. The board discussed and clarified the restrictions. Those restrictions are no bulk fuel storage or sales of lumber or building material, no truck or bus terminal, fertilizer mixing or blending plants, slaughterhouses, meat processing plants, adult book stores, no major repairs to motor vehicles 5:00 P.M. to 7:00 A.M., no work on Saturday, Sundays and/or holidays, no outdoor overnight storage and no manufacturing facilities.
*Public Hearing – Consider and Take Action re: Petition #8450 by G. Woldt to change the zoning from A-1 Ex Ag to the R-1A Residential south of 5415 County Road TT, section 24. The chair opened the public hearing. The attorney for R. Schworck, pending purchaser of the property, stated that they were amending the petition to have 3 lots instead of 4. They would increase the visual barrier to County Road TT to 20 feet and leave the access road as planned. The chairman reported that we received correspondence from the Dane County zoning inspector stating the intermittent stream shown on the map that was mailed to residents was incorrect; it is a grassy swale. Also, the redheaded woodpecker is not on the endangered species list but is listed as “scarce”.
Several residents spoke in opposition to the petition. Their concerns were to have less lots because of the number of residential parcels in the area, limit the number of trees that would be taken down, safety due to increase in traffic and increased water from runoff.
The chair closed the public hearing. Moved by Doug Yelk, second by Lyle Updike to approve petition #8450 amended to have 3 lots, one lot to be RH-1, and two lots R-1A. Motion carried.
Consider and Take Action re: CSM for G. Woldt/R. Schworck. Moved by Doug Yelk, second by Vernon Pogue to approve the certified survey map with the addition of the neighboring use language and to deed restrict the property to have no more divisions on said lots. Motion carried.
Process for Adoption of new Town Ordinances and Amendments. Monte Couch stated he is concerned that there is not a burn permit ordinance in effect for Drovers Woods. The board consensus was to have the Town’s attorney look at the draft ordinance and set up a future meeting where the ordinance will be tentatively adopted.
Audit and Pay Bill. The Board reviewed the invoices submitted. Moved by Doug Yelk, second by Vernon Pogue to approve the payment of the bills submitted and to pre-pay the Cottage Grove Coop for fuel. Motion carried.
Old Business/New Business
- The clerk reported that Dennis Farrell would like to sell the 1949 air compressor. He has an offer of $100.00. Moved by Lyle Updike, second by Doug Yelk to dispose of the air compressor. Motion carried.
- The clerk also reported that a tremendous amount of fill is being hauled in for the house being built on Yelk Road. The concern is whether the road can take this abuse. The consensus of the board was to have the clerk explore options to protect the road. Ex. Bond or escrow.
- A meeting was held on July 19, 2002 with the highway patrolmen, engineer from Vierbicher & Associates, Dan Birrenkott, surveying representative, Dennis Midthun and deputy clerk.
- Discussion centered on the slope of Oaken Vale Road and Yelk Road. Consensus was that Oaken Vale Road would have an 8% slope and that Yelk Road would stay as is in the plan. This will allow the plow trucks to come in on Oaken Vale Road and if possible return on Yelk Road.
- Vernon Pogue reported that the EMS personnel issues would be resolved by August 1, 2002.
Lyle Updike stated that he met with Kevin Viney, Town of Burke chairman, and Jerry Derr, Town of Bristol chairman to plan a strategy to work with the City of Sun Prairie in regards to issues with the fire department, and discuss renewing a contract with the volunteers as it expires in November, 2002.
- A joint meeting with the Town Board and the Town Plan Commission is scheduled for July 24, 2002.
- Various upcoming meetings were discussed.
Set Next Meeting Date/Adjournment. The next meeting date was set for Monday, August 19, 2002 at 7:30 P.M. Moved by Vernon Pogue, second by Doug Yelk to adjourn the meeting. Motion carried. The chairman declared the meeting adjourned at approximately 9:15 P.M.
Joan M. Rademacher, Deputy Clerk