- Call to Order. The regular meeting of the Town of Sun Prairie Plan Commission was called to order at 7:00 p.m. The following members were present: Chairman Roger Fetterly, Dot Havens, Al Meyer, John Quimby and Doug Yelk. Absent: Jane Fiala, Paul Stang.
- Public Notice. Notice of the meeting was mailed to Plan Commission members and posted on the three Town bulletin boards on April 16, 2014.
- Approval of the minutes of previous meeting. Hearing no objections, minutes of the March 17, 2014 Plan Commission meeting were approved as submitted.
- Recess for comments by visitors: No public comments were presented.
- Public Hearing on Dane County blanket rezoning. Conduct an informational briefing and allow Town of Sun Prairie residents and property owners to be heard on a Dane County Planning and Development proposal presented by Kurt Kodl to blanket rezone existing parcels, currently zone A-1(Ex) Agricultural in City of Sun Prairie and Village of Cottage Grove Urban Service Areas, which are no longer in compliance with the State of Wisconsin Farmland Preservation law.Laurie Vanderbloemen and James Mitchell appeared seeking clarifying information on the proposed rezoning of the Vanderbloemen parcels. They were satisfied with answers to their questions. Marvin McCoy, owner of two parcels, was in attendance, but made no comments.
- Consider and take action on Dane County proposal. Motion by Yelk/Quimby to approve the Dane County proposal to blanket rezone 31 existing parcels, currently zone A-1(Ex) Agricultural in City of Sun Prairie and Village of Cottage Grove Urban Service Areas, as shown on attached list and map, which are no longer in compliance with the State of Wisconsin Farmland Preservation law. Motion carried, 5-0-2.
- Consider and take action on a preliminary plan by Jason Geiger. Petitioner Jason Geiger proposes to rezone 2.365 acres from A-2 Agricultural to C-2 Commercial to create a self-storage business on lot 2 of CSM 9189 at the northeast corner of the intersection of Town Hall Drive and Hwy 19 in Section 3, Town of Sun Prairie.No motion was offered to take action on the proposal. Plan Commission members expressed a need for a more detailed proposal from the applicant to address stormwater/detention/runoff issues, lighting, parking, traffic, landscaping, building and design review. The applicant was asked to address these concerns by providing a more detailed proposal for the next meeting on May 19, 2014.
- Reconsider and take action on a petition by David Bauer. At the request of the Town Board, reconsider petition DCPREZ-2014-10659 by David Bauer to spot rezone 0.083 acres of a 0.92 acre parcel from R-1 Residential to C-2 Commercial to allow parking or storage of the owner’s recreational motorhome weighing in excess of 12,000 lbs. at 4688 Pierceville Road in Section 34, Town of Sun Prairie.The Town Board returned the proposal to the Plan Commission asking to consider other alternatives to creating a C-2 Commercial District. Review of Dane Co. Ordinance 10.18(8)(e) indicate that parking and storage of vehicles in excess of 12,000 lbs. is only authorized in C-2, EXP-1 and M-1 zoning districts. Also there are no provisions for a conditional use permit for this purpose. Of the three zoning districts allowed, C-2 is the most appropriate.
Motion by Quimby/Havens to approve the petition with the additional limitation that commercial uses of the C-2 area be restricted to parking, inside storage and minor maintenance of the owner’s recreational motorhome which exceeds a gross weight of 12,000 lbs., and prohibit all other commercial uses. Such limitations shall be entered as a deed restriction recorded with the Dane County Register of Deeds. Motion Carried. 5-0-2.
- Set Next Regular Meeting Date. The next regular meeting date of the Town of Sun Prairie Plan Commission is scheduled for May 19, 2014 at 7:00 p.m.
- Adjournment. The meeting adjourned at 9:15 p.m.
Respectfully submitted for the record.
Roger Fetterly, Chair