- Call to Order. The regular meeting of the Town of Sun Prairie Plan Commission was called to order at 7:00 p.m. The following members were present: Chairman Roger Fetterly, Jane Fiala, Dot Havens, Alan Meyer, John Quimby and Doug Yelk . Absent: Paul Stang. Also present: Board members Lyle Updike, Doug Yelk and Vernon Pogue.
- Public Notice. Notice of the meeting was mailed to Plan Commission members and posted on the three Town bulletin boards on July 12, 2016.
- Approve the minutes of previous meeting. Hearing no objections, the June 20, 2016 minutes were approved as submitted.
- The Plan Commission met in joint session with the Town Board to hear a briefing and discussion on 2015 Wisconsin Act 178 (“Opting Out” of Dane Zoning) by representatives from the Dane County Towns Association and Dane County Planning and Development. Presenters were: Mark Hazelbaker, Attorney for Dane County Towns Association; Todd Violante, Director, Dane County Planning and Development, and Majid Allen, Senior Planner, Dane County Planning and Development.
Documents were provided by each presenter for discussion. The Town will have the option of remaining under Dane County Zoning Ordinance (Chapter 10), withdraw from Dane County zoning and conduct zoning operations under a joint Dane County Towns Ordinance, or continue to use the Dane County Zoning Ordinance (Chapter 10), but not subject to the direction and approval of Dane County authorities. If the Town intends to withdraw, it will be required to give notice of intend by October 20, 2016 for implementation starting January 2017.
Withdrawing from county zoning would give the Town of Sun Prairie its own right to establish zoning policies and make its own zoning decisions, subject to Wisconsin Law, without further oversight. It is recognized that the consequences of withdrawing from County zoning would result in the loss of valuable county resources and administrative services. Further discussion will continue.
(Copies of briefing documents are available at the Town Hall.)
5. Set Next Regular Meeting Date. The next regular meeting date of the Town of Sun Prairie Plan Commission is scheduled for August 15, 2016 at 7:00 p.m.
6. Adjournment. The meeting adjourned at 8:30 p.m.
Respectfully submitted for the record,
Roger Fetterly, Chair