Public Hearing* and Regular Town Board Meeting
The Town Board of the Town of Sun Prairie met on Monday September 9, 2002 at 7:30 P.M. at the Town Hall, 5556 Twin Lane Road.
Call to Order. The meeting was called to order at 7:30 P.M. by chairperson Lyle Updike. Supervisors Vernon Pogue and Doug Yelk, clerk Claudia Quick, deputy clerk Joan Rademacher and highway patrolman Dennis Farrell were present. Two additional people attended the meeting.
Statement of Public Notice. The chair directed that the minutes show that notice of the Town Board meeting was published in the September 5, 2002 issue of The Star. The agenda was also faxed to the Capital Times. Copies were posted on the two town bulletin boards and temporarily at Buckshot’s Hwy. N on September 6, 2002.
Approve Minutes of Previous Meeting. Moved by Vernon Pogue, second by Doug Yelk to approve the minutes of the August 19, 2002 meeting. Motion carried.
Presentation from the Public. None
Report on Town Roads. Dennis Farrell reported on the following:
- All scheduled sealcoating is finished.
- Medina Road Bridge has been paved and shouldered. Will be sending pictures to the DNR to show completion of the project.
- Reconstruction of State Road 19 is progressing at a slower rate than expected; however, still on schedule.
- Twin Lane Road construction cost will be approximately $21,000. The highway expenses will still be in budget by shifting money from other sub-categories.
- Wesley is proceeding with the mowing of the town road ditches.
Consider Repeal and Recreating the Town’s Open Burning Ordinance with adoption of Ordinance – Open Burning Prohibited Except by Ordinance. Moved by Doug Yelk, second by Vernon Pogue to repeal and recreate the Town’s Open Burning Ordinance with an amendment to Section 3 (c) striking on Sundays. Motion carried.
Consider and Take Action re: G. Geier request to extend buildable area on his lot. Mr. Geier at the town board meeting on August 19, 2002 requested the board approve his extending the buildable area on his lot. This was a restriction on his CSM to not allow any building to be located behind a 200-foot area. Moved by Doug Yelk, second by Vernon Pogue to extend the buildable area by approving an amendment to CSM #7279, Lot 3, to have an uninhabitable building area from 200 ft. to 550 ft. from 5227 Pierceville Road. Motion carried.
Consider and Take Action re: County Ordinance Amendment #42 as amended by the county board concerning signs in EXP-1 District. Moved by Vernon Pogue, second by Doug Yelk to approve County Ordinance Amendment #42 as amended by the county board concerning signs in EXP-1 District. Motion carried.
Consider and Take Action re: County Ordinance Amendment #11 regarding storage of racing vehicles. Consensus of the Board was to table this item until the next meeting.
Audit and Pay Bills. Moved by Vernon Pogue, second by Doug Yelk to pay the bills as presented along with the additional bills listed. Motion carried.
Old Business/New Business
- Report on Meeting with City of Sun Prairie – On Thursday, August 29, 2002 Chairman Lyle Updike and Roger Fetterly, chairman of the Plan Commission met with City of Sun Prairie officials Mayor Orfan, Larry Olness Council Chair, Pat Cannon City Administrator and Scott Kugler Interim Planner. (The group is meeting at the direction of the City Plan Commission and Common Council. This was the intention following the City’s tabling of the proposed amendments to their sub-division ordinance in June 2002. The group has met several times.)
- Consensus of the Board was to get input from the Town residents
- During the August 29th meeting Lyle Updike and Roger Fetterly were presented with a City/Town Intergovernmental Boundary Agreement Map Draft. A second map depicted the sewer interceptor and lift station locations. This initial group is now proposing appointment of three representatives from the City and the Town to meet and work on issues related to the map. Issues, which the town would also put forth, would be Bird Street, Town Hall Drive, Storm Water Utility and Recycling Center access.
- Consensus of the Board was to get input from the Town residents on the intergovernmental agreement.
- Fire Department draft contract – Chairman Updike presented two draft documents for the Board to review. The contract for fire protection with each individual Town and the intergovernmental agreement between the City of Sun Prairie, Town of Burke, Town of Bristol and Town of Sun Prairie. This will be on the agenda at the next Town Board meeting for action.
- The clerk presented the board with the violations occurring in the Town that was sent out by Dane County Zoning.
- Roger Fetterly, plan commission chairman, shared a letter he received from RPC asking to nominate a task force to study limited service areas.
- McCarthy Park Grand Opening will be held on September 29, 2002 from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m.
On September 11, 2002 in memory of September 11, 2001 the fire department will have a program from 9:00 to 9:30 a.m.
- Dane County Towns Association meeting is on Sept. 11, 2002.
Next Meeting Date/Adjournment. The next meeting date was set for Monday, September 23, 2002 at 7:30 P.M. Moved by Vernon Pogue, second by Doug Yelk to adjourn the meeting. Motion carried. The chairman declared the meeting adjourned at 9:40 P.M.
Joan M. Rademacher, Deputy Clerk