Road Bid Opening, Public Hearing* and Regular Town Board Meeting
The Town Board of the Town of Sun Prairie met on Monday June 10, 2002 at 7:30 P.M. at the Town Hall, 5556 Twin Lane Road.
Call to Order. The meeting was called to order at 7:30 P.M. by chairperson Lyle Updike. Supervisors Vernon Pogue and Doug Yelk, clerk Claudia Quick, deputy clerk Joan Rademacher and highway patrolman Dennis Farrell were present. Nineteen additional people attended the meeting.
Statement of Public Notice. The chair directed that the minutes show that notice of the Town Board meeting was published in the June 5, 2002 issue of The Star. The agenda was also faxed to the Capital Times. Copies were posted on the two town bulletin boards and temporarily at Buckshot’s Hwy. N on June 6, 2002.
Open road bids and possibly award bid contract Chairman Lyle Updike made comment concerning the issue of not knowing what the shared revenue will be. Dennis Farrell stated that $40,000 in this year’s budget will be cut in the highway budget. With that said the board decided to award the contracts.
The various road projects to be addressed for seal coat bids are: Sylver Ridge Road, McCloskey Road, Breeze Lane, Vang Road, Norton Road, LaRue Court, Deer Creek Run, Berlin Road (end at Twin Lane) and Parkview Road. This would be a total of 29,907 sq. yards. The asphalt concrete overlay bid is for Pierceville Road, which is 1.2 miles, 20-foot width, and 2½ in. overlay – approximately 2200 tons asphalt with 200-300 oil. Seal coat cost/yard Asphalt Concrete cost/ton.
Amon & Sons
Elkhorn, WI no bid $23.34/ton $51,348.00
Sun Prairie, WI no bid $26.86/ton $59,092.00
Lake Delton, WI $.484/yard $14,474.99 $30.50/ton $67,100.00
Fahrner Asphalt Sealers
Waunakee, WI $.59/yard $17,645.13 no bid
Payne & Dolan
Verona, WI no bid $21.27/ton $46,794.00
Janesville, WI no bid $23.20/ton $51,040.00
Moved by Vernon Pogue, second by Doug Yelk to accept the bid from Scott Construction for the sealcoating and the asphalt concrete bid from Frank Brothers. Motion carried.
Approve Minutes of Previous Meeting. Moved by Vernon Pogue, second by Doug Yelk to approve the minutes of the May 20, 2002 meeting. Motion carried.
Presentation from the Public. Jeff Wilcox, a geology student at UW-Madison, is working on a project entitled “Impacts of a Privately-Sewered Subdivision on Groundwater Quality in Dane County, Wisconsin.” Savannah Valley will be their field site. He will be sampling neighboring wells and presented his letter of identification. The consensus of the board was that he could contact the area residents.
Report on Town Roads. Dennis Farrell reported that he had a meeting with the DNR concerning the permit for the Medina Bridge. The town will need to have the owners of the land on either side of the bridge sign an easement that the water will possibly raise a fraction; however, it would still be within the ditch bank. Mr. Farrell did not see this as a problem to getting the permit.
Audit and Pay Bills. The board reviewed the invoice listing and the invoice for the EMS portion of the Public Safety Building. Moved by Vernon Pogue, second by Doug Yelk to approve the bills as presented. Motion carried.
*Public Hearing – Consider and Take Action re: Petition #8438 by R. Dorshorst to change the zoning from A-1 Ex Ag to RH-1 on property located across from 4848 Ridge Road, section 36. The chair opened the public hearing. As there were no comments from the public the chair closed the public hearing. After a lengthy discussion it was moved by Vernon Pogue, second by Lyle Updike to approve petition #8438 with the following changes: The lots would be approximately 1.5 acres with a frontage of 200 feet. This would change the zoning requested from RH-1 to R-1A. The board added a deed restriction that no more homes may be built on his remaining land west of Ridge Road, which is approximately 60 acres. When the vote was called there were 2 aye votes from Lyle Updike and Vernon Pogue with 1 nay vote from Doug Yelk. Motion carried.
Consider preliminary CSM for R. Dorshorst to create two lots. A new CSM will have to be drafted.
Consider, Review and Act on Final Plat for Savannah Valley Subdivision: In reviewing the final plat for Savannah Valley the board and clerk noted the following issues:
- Plat – unacceptable as presented. Information previously agreed upon was omitted from the final plat.
- Developer’s agreement – This document was reviewed and amended by the town attorney.
- Road Plan – need to see a revised plan, which will show the grades.
No action was taken.
Consider and Sign Developers Agreement. Moved by Doug Yelk, second by Vernon Pogue to approve the developer’s agreement as amended by the town attorney, Mark Hazelbaker. The chairperson and clerk may proceed with the signing. Motion carried.
Consider Operator license application for L. Williams. Moved by Vernon Pogue, second by Doug Yelk to approve the license application for L. Williams. Motion carried.
Consider and Tentatively Adopt Amendments to following Town Ordinances
- Burn Permit for Open Burning Moved by Doug Yelk, second by Vernon Pogue to tentatively adopt this ordinance as amended. Motion carried
- Building Code Ordinance Completion Deposit -moved by Vernon Pogue, second by Doug Yelk to tentatively adopt this ordinance as amended. Motion carried.
- Siding and Roofing – moved by Doug Yelk, second by Vernon Pogue to tentatively adopt this ordinance as amended. Motion carried.
- Moving Buildings – moved by Vernon Pogue, second by Doug Yelk to tentatively adopt this ordinance as amended. Motion carried.
- Land Division Ordinance Reservation and dedication of land – moved by Vernon Pogue, second by Doug Yelk to tentatively adopt this ordinance. Motion carried.
- Ag Site Permit Ordinance Moved by Doug Yelk, second by Vernon Pogue to tentatively adopt this ordinance as amended. Motion carried.
Consider and Tentatively Adopt Town Ordinances:
- Ordinance Regarding the Enforcement of the Town of Sun Prairie Code of Ordinances
- Vehicle Storage Ordinance
- Constable Ordinance
These agenda items were not discussed at this meeting because of the lateness of the hour.
Old Business/New Business
- EMS Report Vernon Pogue reported that there would be a meeting with a negotiator to resolve personnel issues. He also reported that the old EMS building has been sold and our share of the payment was $39,112.08. As per the electors the money will be put towards the principal of the loan.
- Received from the City of Sun Prairie a draft of a subdivision ordinance amendment. There is a public hearing on June 11, 2002 and another on June 18, 2002.
- The grand opening of McCarthy Youth & Conservation Park will be on September 29, 2002.
Set Next Meeting Date/Adjournment. The next meeting date was set for Monday, June 24, 2002 at 7:30 P.M. Moved by Vernon Pogue, second by Doug Yelk to adjourn the meeting. Motion carried. The chairman declared the meeting adjourned at 11:45 P.M.
Joan M. Rademacher, Deputy Clerk